spouse sponsorship Canada _ Immisa Immigration

Spouse sponsorship Canada, partner or child

Spousal sponsorship is a popular pathway for couples to reunite and build a life together in Canada. As a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to come and live with you in Canada. This article will provide you with a complete overview of spouse sponsorship Canada, including the eligibility criteria, the application process, and frequently asked questions.

Eligibility Criteria for Spouse Sponsorship Canada:

Before you start the application process for spouse sponsorship Canada, you need to make sure that you and your spouse meet the eligibility criteria. Here are the basic requirements:

  • You must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You must not be receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • You must be able to financially support your spouse
  • Your spouse must not have a criminal record or pose a security risk to Canada

In addition to these basic requirements, there are specific criteria that your spouse must meet depending on their relationship status:

  • Spouse: Your spouse must be legally married to you and must have a valid marriage certificate.
  • Common-law partner: Your common-law partner must have lived with you in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 months.
  • Conjugal partner: Your conjugal partner must have been in a committed relationship with you for at least 12 months, but could not live with you due to circumstances beyond your control (e.g. immigration barriers, religious or cultural reasons).

Application Process for Spouse Sponsorship Canada:

Once you have confirmed that you and your spouse meet the eligibility criteria, you can begin the application process for spouse sponsorship Canada. Here are the general steps involved:

  1. Prepare your application: You will need to fill out and submit several forms, provide supporting documents, and pay the application fee.
  2. Submit your application: You can submit your application online or by mail.
  3. Wait for processing: It can take several months for your application to be processed, and you may be required to provide additional information or attend an interview.
  4. Decision: If your application is approved, your spouse will receive a permanent resident visa and can come to Canada. If your application is refused, you can appeal the decision.


Q: How long does the spouse sponsorship Canada process take?

A: The processing time for spouse sponsorship Canada can vary depending on several factors, including the volume of applications received and the complexity of your case. Generally, it can take anywhere from 12 to 24 months for the application to be processed.

Q: Can I sponsor my same-sex spouse for spouse sponsorship Canada?

A: Yes, same-sex couples are eligible for spouse sponsorship Canada as long as they meet the eligibility criteria.

Q: Can I sponsor my common-law partner even if we have not lived together for 12 months?

A: No, you must have lived together in a conjugal relationship for at least 12 months to be eligible for spouse sponsorship Canada as a common-law partner.

Q: Do I need to provide a police certificate for spouse sponsorship Canada?

A: Yes, you and your spouse must provide police certificates from all countries where you have lived for more than six months since the age of 18.


Sponsoring your spouse to live with you in Canada can be a complex process, but it is worth it to reunite with your loved one and build a life together. This guide has provided you with

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *